Steps Towards Achieving U.S. Cotton’s Sustainability Goals
August 22, 2018
To reduce energy use:
- Saving Energy in Cotton Gins – Paul A. Funk, USDA-Agricultural Research Service, July 2018.
To achieve all goals, especially soil carbon and erosion:
- Soil Health in the Mid-South: First Step – Feeding the Soil Microbes – Bill Robertson, University of Arkansas, June 2018.
To decrease water use:
- A Smartphone App for Scheduling Irrigation in Cotton – George Vellidis, University of Georgia, June 2018.
- Benchmarking Sustainability Performance Utilizing the Fieldprint® Platform to Document and Demonstrate Continuous Improvement – Lexi Clark, Field to Market, May 2018.
- Increase soil carbon by 30%
- Increase land use efficiency by 13%
- Decrease greenhouse gas emissions by 39%
- Decrease soil loss by 50%
- Decrease water use by 18%
- Decrease energy use by 15%
- Enroll 2.5 million acres in the Fieldprint® Calculator